As you read right here on Hot News, legislation (A.B. 1740) to increase the registration limit for exempted specially constructed vehicle (kit car) registrations from 500 to 750 vehicles per year was approved in May by the full California Assembly. A.B .1740 will now be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on Tuesday, June 15. That’s just a few days from now!
Now is the time to act if you’re a hot rodder or an enthusiast and you reside in California. Please write a letter, send a fax, send an e-mail or make a quick phone call to the members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List provided below) immediately to request their support for A.B. 1740
A.B. 1740 Quick Facts
– Under current California policy, specially constructed vehicles that do not receive one of the 500 sequence numbers are subject to a “muddied” titling, registration and smog check process.
– A.B. 1740 will help mitigate the “black market” value of these 500 sequence numbers which are often sold on e-bay and other on-line auction sites.
– A.B. 1740 recognizes the minimal impact specially constructed vehicles have on air quality.
– A.B. 1740 recognizes the fact that specially constructed vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.
– A.B. 1740 will help allow vehicle owners to confidently take advantage of a newly-enacted vehicle registration amnesty program for specially constructed vehicles that were previously registered or classified incorrectly. Under the new law, the DMV will grant amnesty from prosecution to vehicle owners if certain conditions are met, including the owner filing a completed application with the department.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee today to urge support for A.B. 1740.